If you’re looking for a delicious side dish to a dairy Shavuot meal, this Mushroom Medley Muenster Quiche is the perfect thing. It is full of flavor, and will complement a light salmon dish really well; make sure to add it to your Shavuot menu! Disclosure: this post contains commissioned links and images.
Scroll to the end of this page to get the printable Mushroom Medley Muenster Quiche recipe.
When I got married, a wonderful friend of mine gifted me a binder full of tried and true recipes- her recipes, her mother’s, my mother’s, etc. In the dairy section was a recipe for mushroom quiche. I’m actually not the biggest fan of mushrooms, but I do like them in two types of dishes- quiche, as I discovered when I tried her recipe, and soups.
I was such a novice when I first started cooking that when I saw the recipe called for a pie crust, I baked the quiche in a graham cracker crust. I had no idea there were frozen pie crusts for savory dishes!
Over the year, as I fell in love with cooking (and eventually baking!) I tweaked her recipe and made it my own. The original called for canned mushrooms; in this Mushroom Medley Muenster Quiche, as the title hints, I use three types of mushrooms, slowly sauteed for maximum flavor.
Ingredients for Mushroom Medley Muenster Quiche
- 9″ deep dish frozen pie crust
- oil for sauteeing, about 1/2 TBSP
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 – 6 oz white button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 – 6 oz shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 4 – 6 oz crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 4 oz muenster cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
How to make Mushroom Medley Muenster Quiche
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Using a fork, prick small holes into the frozen pie crust. Place in oven for 10 minutes. When done, remove from oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large frying pan. Saute onion for 5-7 minutes, until translucent.
- Add mushrooms to pan. On medium-low heat, saute mushrooms, stirring occasionally until mushrooms have reduced in size and darkened in color. This will take between 10 and 20 minutes.
- Add garlic to pan and saute for an additional minute or two.
- Set mushroom mixture aside and let cool.
- In a small bowl, combine heavy cream, egg, egg whites, flour, muenster cheese, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Set the pie crust on top of a baking sheet in case of leaks.
- Pour mushroom mixture into pie crust.
- Pour cheese mixture over the mushrooms. Sprinkle with thyme.
- Bake at 350 F for 40 minutes or until golden brown and top is set.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before slicing so the inside has a chance to firm up.
This Mushroom Medley Muenster Quiche freezes very well in an airtight bag. Reheat directly in oven.