A couple of weeks ago, I shared my DIY fake beard. I had made it as part of this DIY Yaakov Avinu costume and I am pleased to be sharing with you the whole thing now! Disclosure: this post contains affiliate ads.
I made this Yaakov costume for M when he was celebrating the completion of Sefer Bereishis. He loved it and had fun “helping” me too!
We added fake fur to his hands (yep, the same as on the beard) to mimic what Rivka would have put on him. And a head cover that is probably totally inaccurate completes the costume.
To make him the Yaakov that learns torah, I handed him a tehillim – mainly for the photo and not to carry around all day. It’s a nice touch, and if you don’t trust your kid with something like that, you can disguise an old hard-cover book with a cover, or make a scroll.
What you need for your Yaakov Avinu costume:
- Fake fur
- Hot glue gun
- An old t-shirt, bed sheet, or anything big enough to use as the head piece
How to make your Yaakov Avinu cosutume:
1. Prepare two pieces of your fake fur large enough to cover the top of the arm.
2. Glue two pieces of elastic to the back as pictured.
3. Measure your child’s arm, trim to size, and glue down on the other side so that it sits in place but isn’t too tight.
4. For the headpiece, prepare a piece of elastic that fits your child’s head plus about an inch. Glue the two ends in as pictured to form a seam and then once it’s dry, trim it as close as you can without removing all the glue.
5. Prepare a piece of white cloth large enough to serve as a head covering for your child. You don’t need to do anything – it gets attached as is and held in place with the elastic you prepared in step 4.
If your child is responsible enough, tuck a “sefer” under his arm to complete the costume. I gave my son a tehillim to use.
Your Yaakov Avinu costume is complete and ready to use!! Let’s go trick our Daddy’s into thinking we’re our evil twin brothers!
Who will be dressing up in this Yaakov Avinu costume? What’s your favorite costume you’ve ever made? Share in the comments below!